Thursday 10 July 2008

My Spurs XI


Sod the holding midfielder, I'm going on the flat out attack, the type of gungho football we've failed so miserably at for all my life. This is based on players I've seen in the flesh. I know my dad would have Greavsie and Dave Mackay, but I didn't see them so I can't really comment.


  1. Pat Jennings (GK) - what can you say. The greatest keeper ever.

  2. Steve Perryman (RB) - Beautiful face, great servant to Spurs and a great overlapping fullback. Converted from central midfielder he also had a spell as sweeper.

  3. Cyril Knowles (LB) - Brazilian quality of attacking down the flanks and throwing dummies and hip-swivels in his own box. Nice one Cyril.

  4. Graham Roberts (CB) - Tenacious G. Hard man who held Spurs together during the early 80's. Who can forget that run into the box for the penalty against QPR in '82.

  5. Ledley King (CB) - If he could stay fit (or even get fit!) John Terry would be getting piles on the Wembley bench.

  6. Ossie Ardiles (MID) - I fell in love with this guy in 1978. In crowded midfields with hatchet men like Graeme Souness and Kenny Hibbett trying to kick seven bells out of him, Ossie would glide along, toe-tapping the ball away from lunging tackles into his next stride.

  7. Glenn Hoddle (MID) - Just go to youTube and check out his goals - then there was the pinpoint passing, where he'd split a defence at will. They didn't call him GOD for nothing.

  8. David Ginola (MID) - Silky and flowing, and that's just his hair. What a dribbler - a wonderful entertainer that mesmerised defenders and crowds alike.

  9. Jurgen Klinsmann (CF) - a breath of fresh air to WHL. I used to hate him before he came to us but his professional attitude and truly world class play soon changed my mind.

  10. Dimitar Berbatov (CF) - He might be moody, but you can't deny his sublime touch.

  11. Martin Chivers (CF) - I had a goal fish called Chivers.

Graham Roberts is going to have to do a lot of ball winning there, but when we have got it, what a team. I could see this team having a few 5-5 draws (provided Jennings was on top form!). That might be the starting line-up but I'd have a big squad waiting in the wings. Ricky Villa, Alfie Conn, Gary Mabbutt, John Duncan, Mike England, Teddy Sherringham, Chris Waddle, Steve Archibald, Alan Gilzean, Robbie Keane, Darren Anderton, Gazza.....

No comments: